How to create Parted Magic liveCD/liveDVD video tutorial.
How to create Parted Magic liveUSB video tutorial.
What is Parted Magic?
Parted Magic is a disk management solution, Linux based, standalone free software that runs from CD/DVD or Flash Drive. Parted Magic ISO is free up to 2013_02_28 version. But the latest update is now commercially available for $11 or $49 if you want a free upgrade for the whole year.
Latest Parted Magic updates
Parted Magic is an on-going development. Like other software and Gadgets it becomes better as time goes by. This year 2017 Parted magic already released three (3) versions. Of course with $11 as tag price.
- 2017-09-05: Release Date: Parted Magic 2017_09_05
- 2017-06-12: Release Date: Parted Magic 2017_06_12
- 2017-03-14: Release Date: Parted-Magic 2017_03_14
- 2017-01-09: Release Date: Parted-Magic 2017_01_08
- 2016-10-18: Release Date: Parted-Magic 2016_10_18
- 2016-04-26: Release Date: Parted-Magic 2016_04_26
- 2016-01-08: Release Date: Parted-Magic 2016_01_06
- 2015-01-14: Release Date: Parted-Magic 2015_01_13
Parted Magic Features
Parted magic (reference) is designed as an all in one hard disk management solution. By which, you can check your disk health, edit your hard drive partitions and safely erase your data. It is also used in cloning hard disk or partition.
- Disk Health – Disk health feature is powered by GSmart Control that will help you determine your hard drive’s health. This is one of my favorite feature. It gives you the needed information about your hard drive’s status.
- File Manager – This is where you can browse your devices, hard disk, flash drive and other portable storage devices. Copying and pasting files from and to any devices can also be done through Parted magic file manager just like windows explorer.
- Partition Editor – Partition Editor, works like your Windows disk management. You can create, delete, resize, move, copy and paste a new or old partition.
- Disk Erase – Disk erase is helpful if you want to securely erase all your files from your disk. It’s better than windows format. Executing this feature will reduce your data recovery to 1%. So, only do this if you already backed-up all your files.
- Disk Cloning – Cloning utility is powered by another GPL software, Clonezilla. It is capable of cloning or restoring a disk or partition using an image. On the other hand, it will also work on device to device basis or disk to disk and partition by partition cloning.
However, parted magic extend its capability beyond just being a hard disk management solutions with more useful features such as; data rescue, networking, benchmarking and multimedia.
- Test Disk – helps recover lost partitions/files, repair file system errors and make non-bootable disk, bootable again.
- File manager – in the event that the hard drive fails, which means you’re files becomes inaccessible. Parted magic file manager still able to browse that disk as well as all your files and can perform a copy & paste or drag & drop command. Giving you the chance of saving all your data to other storage device.
- Network manager – to create or edit network connections.
- Firewall – most routers has its firewall, however if you want to make your network more secure this feature may help.
- Firefox browser – when troubleshooting computers, surfing the web is a must to explore more help or update needed software.
- VNC viewer – this is very useful when remote access is needed. Parted magic includes more networking features but it’s for you to explore.
- System profiler and benchmark – a complete system information viewer from computer, devices, network and CPU benchmarking.
- System stability tester – this will test your CPU if it says “passed”, meaning you have a good CPU.
- Asunder CD ripper – extracts audio files from CD.
- Audacious – a media player almost equivalent to Windows media player.
- ISO Master – is a utility tool used for ISO editing.
- Sound mixer – if you are fond of mixing audio this tool will help you finish and furnish the job.
- Test audio – tiny tool for testing if your audio is at work.
- Xfburn – burn data and audio files with the help this free yet useful software.
Parted magic is an ISO file that needs to be burn on CD/DVD or installed in Flash drive to work. It should be burn as bootable ISO and installed in flash drive using UNetbootin.
- First you need to download Parted-Magic ISO and FreeISOBurner. After you downloaded the said software, get your blank CD/DVD ready as well as your DVD writer.
- Insert your blank CD/DVD into your DVD writer, wait a few seconds until your computer recognize the blank CD/DVD.
- Run FreeISOBurner.
- Browse or open your Parted-Magic ISO file.
- In FreeISOBurner options menu, select the burn speed, the lower the better, I would suggest 24x.
- Then click the “burn” to start the burning process, wait until you see the message “Write ISO image done”.
- Congratulations! You just made your bootable/liveCD or liveDVD parted magic.
- Download Parted Magic ISO and Unetbootin then have your Flash drive ready. If you have old flash drive with just 512 MB or 1 GB, it is still usable.
- Insert your Pen Drive into your PC or computer’s USB port, wait a few seconds until your computer recognize it.
- Run Unetbootin.
- Ignore the “distribution” instead select the “diskimage”.
- Browse the location of your Parted-Magic ISO by clicking the three dots, then click “OK”.
- Wait while Unetbootin is processing. When a pop-up dialog appears asking your permission to overwrite some parted magic files, simply click “yes to all” to continue. Until you see “Installation complete, reboot (current)” message.
- Congratulations! You just created a Parted Magic liveUSB. You can select “Reboot now” or “exit”.
What’s next? 🙄
How to boot parted-magic from CD/DVD?
- Insert your liveCD/liveDVD into your DVD writer.
- Reboot or restart your computer.
- Press the Boot-keys or BIOS keys (please refer to your computer manual or search the internet according to your computer brand).
- Choose CD-ROM or DVD-ROM as the first boot device (if you change the boot priority in BIOS, you need to press F10 and select “yes” to save the changes).
- Parted Magic will now boot from CD/DVD.
How to boot from USB?
- Insert your liveUSB into USB port.
- Restart your PC.
- Press the boot-keys or BIOS keys (please refer to your computer manual or search the internet according to your computer brand).
- Select USB Disk or USB HDD as the first boot device. (if you change the boot priority in BIOS, you need to press F10 and select “yes” to save the changes).
- Parted magic will now boot from USB.
You just learned how to create parted magic liveCD/DVD and liveUSB. At the beginning of this article you also get acquainted, what is it and its features and how it works. Now, take the driver’s set, explore Parted magic and its usefulness in computer troubleshooting.
Do you have more tips to add? Feel free to comment below, it’s highly appreciated.