Pen Drive, USB Flash drive, thumb drive, micro, macro, SD card, HDD, external hard drive and other portable storage are one of the most useful storage devices in this tech era. However, it became an easy target of shortcut virus.
What will happen to your USB Thumb drive if infected by shortcut virus?
All data inside your flash drive will be hidden. It will become invisible. Then the USB Flash drive shortcut virus hides your file and replaced it with single shortcut folder or a replica of your external HDD or Pen drive. The easiest way to remove it is by formatting the USB portable device.
But doing so means, you will loss all your data. Is there any work around or better solutions to remove pen drive shortcut virus at the same time recover your files in your disk key?
The good news! Yes, there is a wiser solution and that is with the help of CMD command. How to remove shortcut virus using CMD?
Let’s do it.
- Navigate to start menu, accessories, system tools, CMD -> run it as administrator (start ->Windows system in Windows 10).
- Then type f: hit enter, change the drive letter to your device drive letter.
- Type del *lnk then enter.
- Type attrib f:*.* /d /s -h -r –s , (change f to your USB drive letter) press enter.
After typing the CMD command correctly, the hidden files from your USB Flash drive will now become visible. You just remove shortcut virus using cmd.
How shortcut virus infect your Pen drive?
The jump drive usually acquires pen drive shortcut virus by inserting it into infected laptop or computer.
- Don’t let anyone insert disk-on-key into your computer without your consent.
- See to it that your antivirus is running and updated before allowing disk key into your laptop.
- Once your computer is infected with thumb drive shortcut virus, any portable device inserted in will also get infected.
- When in public internet/cyber café, check the computer security software if enabled and updated. To keep your USB memory safe against USB shortcut virus.