Bitdefender Free Antivirus Edition 2018 is one of the most popular free antivirus programs, and that is because it is so light on computer resources. Playing games will never be an issue. If you are a graphic designer, having a photo or video editing software is not a problem at all.
Bitdefender Free Antivirus Edition Features
- Download Bitdefender Free Antivirus Free Edition 2018
- Bitdefender Free Antivirus Edition 2018 Review (Video)
When it comes to features, this free antivirus software is not rich and it has a very simple, yet clean, UI (User Interface) design. What’s in there? It consist the following four (4) tabs:
- Events – in this area you will see all the log history of Bitdefender Free software.
- Quarantine – you can see all the quarantined files in here. Option to delete the quarantined file permanently or restore the file are options available in this tab.
- Exclusion – exclude a file from Bitdefender Free Antivirus system scan.
- Protection – by default the the Bitdefender Free protection shield is ON. If you wish to turn it off for whatever reason, you can do it here. But it is highly recommended to keep the Bitdefender Free Antivirus Edition protection shield ON.
Common Viruses Test result
We’ve tested the product using 12 synthetic viruses. The result was that it was able to detect 12 out of 12 viruses. 100% detection rate! Personally, I never expected that it will detect all the synthetic viruses, given that it is just a free antivirus
We use online synthetic malware, this type of malware infects computers through online activity. The malware infections may happen by just visiting a malware infected websites or websites that intentionally distribute malware.
In this area, our little free antivirus was able to detect 5 out of 10 malware. A 50% detection rate is not bad for a free antivirus.
Against Phishing sites it was able to detect 5 out of 10 phishing attempts. It’s a 50% ratio. Again, for free antivirus it’s still a good number.
Keylogger detection rate
On keylogger, Bitdefender was able to block keylogger installation. To be able to install keylogger you need to disable the Bitdefender Free Antivirus protection.
However, turning back on the Bitdefender Free Antivirus protection and a computer restart will block the installed keylogger. So, what does it means?
Even if someone manages to sneak into your computer and install a keylogger by disabling the Bitdefender Free Antivirus protection, it will not last too long. Turning on the Bitdefender protection and a restarting your PC will block the keylogger again and it will be disabled and removed.
- 12 out of 12 virus detection
- 5 out of 10 malware detection
- Phishing detection is 5 out of 10
- Blocks keylogger installation
The Bitdefender Free Antivirus review and actual test results, show that it is indeed one of the most effective Free antivirus.
Things to improve for Bitdefender Free Antivirus
I want to be fair; I will not request that they improve its malware and phishing protection (Bitdefender has Bitdefender Internet Security, Plus and Total Security for that purpose ) but if they can do that, I will welcome it with open arms. For me, having a password protection for Bitdefender Free Antivirus is already enough. So that, the user can protect it settings and it can’t be easily disabled or uninstalled.
What others are saying?
Do you found this Bitdefender Free Antivirus Edition 2018 review helpful?